Pronunciation: (as"im-tot'ik), [key]
1. of or pertaining to an asymptote.
2. (of a function) approaching a given value as an expression containing a variable tends to infinity.
3. (of two functions) so defined that their ratio approaches unity as the independent variable approaches a limit or infinity.
4. (of a formula) becoming increasingly exact as a variable approaches a limit, usually infinity.
5. coming into consideration as a variable approaches a limit, usually infinity: asymptotic property; asymptotic behavior. Also,as"ymp•tot'i•cal.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.