Pronunciation: (ath'inz), [key]
1. Greek, Athenai. a city in and the capital of Greece, in the SE part. 885,136.
2. Greater, a metropolitan area comprising the city of Athens, Piraeus, and several residential suburbs. 2,530,000.
3. a city in N Georgia. 42,549.
4. a city in S Ohio. 19,743.
5. a town in N Alabama. 14,558.
6. a town in S Tennessee. 12,080.
7. a town in E Texas. 10,197.
8. any city that is compared to Athens, esp. as a cultural center: the Athens of the Midwest.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.