Pronunciation: (u-tōn'), [key]
—v., a•toned, a•ton•ing.
1. to make amends or reparation, as for an offense or a crime, or for an offender (usually fol. by for): to atone for one's sins.
2. to make up, as for errors or deficiencies (usually fol. by for): to atone for one's failings.
3. Obs.to become reconciled; agree.
1. to make amends for; expiate: He atoned his sins.
2. Obs.to bring into unity, harmony, concord, etc.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.