Pronunciation: (ô-strāl'yun), [key]
1. of or pertaining to Australia, its inhabitants, or their languages.
2. Zoogeog.belonging to a geographical division comprising Australia, New Zealand, Tasmania, Celebes, the Moluccas, Papua New Guinea, and adjacent smaller islands.
3. Phytogeog.belonging or pertaining to a geographical division comprising Australia and Tasmania.
1. a native or inhabitant of Australia.
2. an Aborigine of Australia.
3. the phylum of languages spoken by the Aborigines of Australia, consisting of more than a hundred languages.Abbr.: Austral, Austral.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.