Pronunciation: (ô'thur), [key]
1. a person who writes a novel, poem, essay, etc.; the composer of a literary work, as distinguished from a compiler, translator, editor, or copyist.
2. the literary production or productions of a writer: to find a passage in an author.
3. the maker of anything; creator; originator: the author of a new tax plan.
4. Computers.the writer of a software program, esp. a hypertext or multimedia application.
1. to write; be the author of: He authored a history of the Civil War.
2. to originate; create a design for: She authored a new system for teaching chemistry.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.