Pronunciation: (ô"tu-mat'ik), [key]
1. having the capability of starting, operating, moving, etc., independently: an automatic sprinkler system; an automatic car wash.
2. Physiol.occurring independently of volition, as certain muscular actions; involuntary.
3. done unconsciously or from force of habit; mechanical: an automatic application of the brakes.
4. occurring spontaneously: automatic enthusiasm.
5. (of a firearm, pistol, etc.) utilizing the recoil or part of the force of the explosive to eject the spent cartridge shell, introduce a new cartridge, cock the arm, and fire it repeatedly.
1. a machine that operates automatically.
2. See automatic rifle.
3. See automatic pistol.
4. Football.audible (def. 2).
5. See automatic pilot.
6. See automatic transmission.
7. an automobile equipped with automatic transmission.
8. on automatic, being operated or controlled by or as if by an automatic device.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.