Pronunciation: (ā'vun, av'un for 1–4; ā'von for 5), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/avon.html on line 79 [key]
1. a river in central England, flowing SE past Stratford-on-Avon to the Severn. 96 mi. (155 km) long.
2. a river in S England, flowing W to the mouth of the Severn. ab. 75 mi. (120 km) long.
3. a river in S England, flowing S to the English Channel. ab. 60 mi. (100 km) long.
4. a county in SW England, 919,600; 520 sq. mi. (1346 sq. km.)
5. a town in N Connecticut. 11,201.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.