Pronunciation: (u-wā'), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/away.html on line 73 [key]
1. from this or that place; off: to go away.
2. aside; to another place; in another direction: to turn your eyes away; to turn away customers
3. far; apart: away back; away from the subject.
4. out of one's possession or use: to give money away.
5. out of existence or notice; into extinction: to fade away; to idle away the morning.
6. incessantly or relentlessly; repeatedly: He kept hammering away.
7. without hesitation: Fire away.
8. away with,
a. take away: Away with him!
b. go away! leave!: Away with you!
9. do away with,
a. to get rid of; abolish; stop.
b. to kill: Bluebeard did away with all his wives.
10. where away? (of something sighted from a ship) in which direction? where?
1. absent; gone: to be away from home.
2. distant: six miles away.
3. immediately off and on the way: The order was given and he was away.
4. Sports.played in a ball park, arena, or the like, other than the one that is or is assumed to be the center of operations of a team: winners in their last three away games. Cf. home (def. 16).
5. Baseball.having been put out: with two away in the top of the seventh.
a. (of a golf ball) lying farthest from the hole.
b. (of a golfer) having hit such a ball and being required to play first.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.