Pronunciation: (bā'bē), [key]
—n., pl. -bies,
—adj., v., -bied, -by•ing.
1. an infant or very young child.
2. a newborn or very young animal.
3. the youngest member of a family, group, etc.
4. an immature or childish person.
5. a human fetus.
a. Sometimes Disparaging and Offensive.a girl or woman, esp. an attractive one.
b. a person of whom one is deeply fond; sweetheart.
c. (sometimes cap.) an affectionate or familiar address (sometimes offensive when used to strangers, casual acquaintances, subordinates, etc., esp. by a male to a female).
d. a man or boy; chap; fellow: He's a tough baby to have to deal with.
e. an invention, creation, project, or the like that requires one's special attention or expertise or of which one is especially proud.
f. an object; thing: Is that car there your baby?
1. of or suitable for a baby: baby clothes.
2. of or like a baby; infantile: baby skin.
3. small; comparatively little: a baby car.
4. treating babies: a baby doctor.
1. to treat like a young child; pamper.
2. to handle or use with special care; treat gently.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.