Pronunciation: (bak'wurd), [key]
1. toward the back or rear.
2. with the back foremost.
3. in the reverse of the usual or right way: counting backward from 100.
4. toward the past: to look backward over one's earlier mistakes.
5. toward a less advanced state; retrogressively: Since the overthrow of the president the country has moved steadily backward.
6. backward and forward, thoroughly: He knew his lesson backward and forward. Also,backwards and forwards.
1. directed toward the back or past.
2. reversed; returning: a backward movement; a backward journey.
3. behind in time or progress; late; slow: a backward learner; a backward country.
4. bashful or hesitant; shy: a backward lover.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.