Pronunciation: (bang-ket'; locally bang'kit for 3), [key]
1. a long bench with an upholstered seat, esp. one along a wall, as in a restaurant.
2. an embankment for buttressing the base of a levee and forming a berm.
3. Chiefly Coastal Louisiana and East Texas.a sidewalk, esp. a raised one of bricks or planks.
4. Fort.a platform or step along the inside of a parapet, for soldiers to stand on when firing.
5. a ledge running across the back of a buffet.
6. a bench for passengers on top of a stagecoach.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.