Pronunciation: (bär-bâr'ē-un), [key]
1. a person in a savage, primitive state; uncivilized person.
2. a person without culture, refinement, or education; philistine.
3. (loosely) a foreigner.
4. (in ancient and medieval periods)
a. a non-Greek.
b. a person living outside, esp. north of, the Roman Empire.
c. a person not living in a Christian country or within a Christian civilization.
5. (among Italians during the Renaissance) a person of non-Italian origin.
1. uncivilized; crude; savage.
2. foreign; alien.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.