Pronunciation: (bā&thslash;), [key]
—v., bathed, bath•ing,
1. to immerse (all or part of the body) in water or some other liquid, for cleansing, refreshment, etc.
2. to wet; wash.
3. to moisten or suffuse with any liquid.
4. to apply water or other liquid to, with a sponge, cloth, etc.: to bathe a wound.
5. to wash over or against, as by the action of the sea, a river, etc.: incoming tides bathing the coral reef.
6. to cover or surround: a shaft of sunlight bathing the room; a morning fog bathing the city.
1. to take a bath or sunbath.
2. to swim for pleasure.
3. to be covered or surrounded as if with water.
Brit.the act of bathing, esp. in the sea, a lake, or a river; a swimming bath.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.