Pronunciation: (bēn), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/bean.html on line 99 [key]
1. the edible nutritious seed of various plants of the legume family, esp. of the genus Phaseolus.
2. a plant producing such seeds.
3. the pod of such a plant, esp. when immature and eaten as a vegetable.
4. any of various other beanlike seeds or plants, as the coffee bean.
a. a person's head.
b. a coin or a bank note considered as a coin: I can't pay for the ticket, I don't have a bean in my jeans.
6. Brit. Informal.a minimum amount of money: They've been disinherited and now haven't a bean.
7. beans, Informal.the slightest amount: He doesn't know beans about navigation.
8. full of beans, Informal.
a. energetic; vigorously active; vital: He is still full of beans at 95.
b. stupid; erroneous; misinformed.
9. spill the beans, Informal.to disclose a secret, either accidentally or imprudently, thereby ruining a surprise or plan: He spilled the beans, and she knew all about the party in advance.
Slang.to hit on the head, esp. with a baseball.
beans,(used to express disbelief, annoyance, etc.).
Pronunciation: (bēn), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/bean.html on line 203 [key]
1. Alan L(aVern), born 1932, U.S. astronaut.
2. Roy (“Judge”), 1825?–1903, U.S. frontiersman and justice of the peace: called himself “the law west of the Pecos.”
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.