Pronunciation: (bē), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/bee.html on line 77 [key]
1. any hymenopterous insect of the superfamily Apoidea, including social and solitary species of several families, as the bumblebees, honeybees, etc.
2. the common honeybee, Apis mellifera.
3. a community social gathering in order to perform some task, engage in a contest, etc.: a sewing bee; a spelling bee; a husking bee.
4. have a bee in one's bonnet,
a. to be obsessed with one idea.
b. to have eccentric or fanciful ideas or schemes: Our aunt obviously has a bee in her bonnet, but we're very fond of her.
5. put the bee on, Informal.to try to obtain money from, as for a loan or donation: My brother just put the bee on me for another $10.
6. the bee's knees, Older Slang.(esp. in the 1920s) a person or thing that is wonderful, great, or marvelous: Her new roadster is simply the bee's knees.
Pronunciation: (bē), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/bee.html on line 143 [key]
1. Also called bee block. Naut.a piece of hardwood, bolted to the side of a bowsprit, through which to reeve stays.
2. Obs.a metal ring or bracelet.
Bachelor of Electrical Engineering.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.