Pronunciation: (bi-gin'ing), [key]
1. an act or circumstance of entering upon an action or state: the beginning of hostilities.
2. the point of time or space at which anything begins: the beginning of the Christian era; the beginning of the route.
3. the first part: the beginning of the book; the beginning of the month.
4. Often, beginnings. the initial stage or part of anything: the beginnings of science.
5. origin; source; first cause: A misunderstanding about the rent was the beginning of their quarrel.
1. just formed: a beginning company.
2. first; opening: the beginning chapters of a book.
3. basic or introductory: beginning Spanish.
4. learning the fundamentals: a beginning swimmer.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.