Pronunciation: (bi-hīnd'), [key]
1. at or toward the rear of: Look behind the house.
2. not keeping up with, later than; after: behind schedule.
3. in the state of making less progress than: We can't afford to fall behind our competitors.
4. on the farther side of; beyond: behind the mountain.
5. originating, supporting, or promoting: Who's behind this program?
6. hidden or unrevealed by: Malice lay behind her smile.
7. at the controls of: behind the wheel of a car.
1. at or toward the rear; rearward: to lag behind.
2. in a place, state, or stage already passed.
3. in arrears; behindhand: to be behind in one's rent.
4. slow, as a watch or clock: more than 20 minutes behind.
5. as a cause or often latent feature of: Behind their harassment lay the traditional fear of foreigners.
6. in a situation that exists afterward: The victim left behind a large family.
7. Archaic.in reserve; to come: Greater support is yet behind.
following: the man behind.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.