Pronunciation: (bi-lō'), [key]
1. in or toward a lower place: Look out below!
2. on, in, or toward a lower level, as a lower deck of a ship: The captain of the ship went below.
3. beneath the surface of the water: Divers were sent below to view the wreck.
4. on earth: the fate of creatures here below.
5. in hell or the infernal regions.
6. at a later point on a page or in a text: See the illustration below. Cf. above (def. 5).
7. in a lower rank or grade: He was demoted to the class below.
8. under zero on the temperature scale: The temperature in Buffalo was ten below this morning.
9. Theat.downstage. Cf. above (def. 8).
10. Zool.on the lower or ventral side.
1. lower down than: below the knee.
2. lower in rank, degree, amount, rate, etc., than: below cost; below freezing.
3. too low or undignified to be worthy of; beneath: He considered such an action below his notice.
4. Theat.downstage of: There are two chairs below the table.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.