Pronunciation: (bi-nēth', -nē&thslash;'), [key]
1. below; in or to a lower place, position, state, or the like.
2. underneath: heaven above and the earth beneath.
1. below; under: beneath the same roof.
2. farther down than; underneath; lower in place than: The first drawer beneath the top one.
3. lower down on a slope than: beneath the crest of a hill.
4. inferior or less important, as in position, rank, or power: A captain is beneath a major.
5. unworthy of; below the level or dignity of: to regard others as beneath one; behavior that was beneath contempt.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.