Pronunciation: (bi-twēn'), [key]
1. in the space separating (two points, objects, etc.): between New York and Chicago.
2. intermediate to, in time, quantity, or degree: between twelve and one o'clock; between 50 and 60 apples; between pink and red.
3. linking; connecting: air service between cities.
4. in portions for each of (two people): splitting the profits between them.
5. among: sharing the responsibilities between the five of us.
6. by the dual or common action or participation of: Between us, we can finish the job in a couple of hours.
7. distinguishing one from the other: He couldn't see the difference between good and bad.
8. in comparing: no preference between the two wines.
9. by the combined effect of.
10. existing confidentially for: We'll keep this matter between the two of us.
11. involving; concerning: war between nations; choice between things.
12. being felt jointly or reciprocated by: the love between them.
13. by joint possession of: Between them they own most of this company.
14. Heraldry.in the midst of, so as to make a symmetrical composition: a cross argent between four bezants.
15. between ourselves, confidentially; in trust. Also,between you and me,between you, me, and the post (lamppost, gatepost, etc.).
Usually, betweens. a short needle with a rounded eye and a sharp point, used for fine hand stitchery in heavy fabric.
1. in the intervening space or time; in an intermediate position or relation: two windows with a door between; visits that were far between.
2. in between,
a. situated in an intermediary area or on a line or imaginary line connecting two points, things, etc.
b. in the way: I reached for the ball, but the dog got in between.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.