Pronunciation: (bil'ing), [key]
1. the relative position in which a performer or act is listed on handbills, posters, etc.: A star usually receives billing above the title of the play.
2. advertising; publicity: The show was a sellout weeks ahead of the opening because of advance billing.
3. the amount of business done by a firm, esp. an advertising agency, within a specified period of time.
4. an act or instance of preparing or sending out a bill or invoice.
5. the total amount of the cost of goods or services billed to a customer, usually covering purchases made or services rendered within a specified period of time.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.