Pronunciation: (bûrth), [key]
1. an act or instance of being born: the day of his birth.
2. the act or process of bearing or bringing forth offspring; childbirth; parturition: a difficult birth.
3. lineage; extraction; descent: of Grecian birth.
4. high or noble lineage: to be foolishly vain about one's birth.
5. natural heritage: a musician by birth.
6. any coming into existence; origin; beginning: the birth of Protestantism; the birth of an idea.
7. Archaic.something that is born.
8. give birth to,
a. to bear (a child).
b. to initiate; originate: Her hobby gave birth to a successful business.
—v.t. Chiefly South Midland and Southern U.S.
1. to give birth to.
2. to assist in giving birth; act as midwife for.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.