—adj.bit"ur swēt', bit'ur swēt";
1. both bitter and sweet to the taste: bittersweet chocolate.
2. both pleasant and painful or regretful: a bittersweet memory.
1. Also called woody nightshade. a climbing or trailing plant, Solanum dulcamara, of the nightshade family, having small, violet, star-shaped flowers with a protruding yellow center and scarlet berries.
2. Also called climbing bittersweet. any climbing plant of the genus Celastrus, bearing orange capsules opening to expose red-coated seeds, esp. C. scandens.
3. pleasure mingled with pain or regret: the bittersweet of parting.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.