Pronunciation: (blak'bôl"), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/blackball.html on line 73 [key]
1. to vote against (a candidate, applicant, etc.).
2. to exclude socially; ostracize: The whole town blackballed them.
3. to reject (a candidate) by placing a blackball in the ballot box.
1. a negative vote, esp. in deciding on an applicant or candidate.
2. a black ball placed in a ballot box signifying a negative vote.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.