Pronunciation: (blits), [key]
a. an overwhelming all-out attack, esp. a swift ground attack using armored units and air support.
b. an intensive aerial bombing.
2. any swift, vigorous attack, barrage, or defeat: a blitz of commercials every few minutes.
3. Football.act or instance of charging directly for (the passer) as soon as the ball is snapped; red-dogging.
1. to attack or defeat with or as if with a blitz: The town was blitzed mercilessly by enemy planes. The visitors really blitzed the home team.
2. to destroy; demolish: His last-minute refusal blitzed all our plans.
1. Football.to charge directly and immediately at the passer; red-dog.
2. to move in the manner of a blitz: a car that will blitz through rough terrain.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.