Pronunciation: (blōt), [key]
1. to expand or distend, as with air, water, etc.; cause to swell: Overeating bloated their bellies.
2. to puff up; make vain or conceited: The promotion has bloated his ego to an alarming degree.
3. to cure (fishes) as bloaters.
to become swollen; be puffed out or dilated: The carcass started to bloat.
1. Also called hoven. Vet. Pathol.(in cattle, sheep, and horses) a distention of the rumen or paunch or of the large colon by gases of fermentation, caused by eating ravenously of green forage, esp. legumes.
2. a person or thing that is bloated.
3. bloater (defs. 1, 2).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.