1. Chiefly Poker.a blue-colored chip of high value.
2. a common stock issued by a major company that has financial strength, stability against fluctuations, and a good record of dividend payments: regarded as a low-risk investment.
3. a secure and valuable item or property held in reserve: The airfield was a blue chip in the struggle for military supremacy.
Pronunciation: (blOO'chip"), [key]
1. of, pertaining to, or constituting a blue chip.
2. having outstanding or exemplary qualities within a specified category; leading: a group of blue-chip scientists; blue-chip stock.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.