Pronunciation: (bOOst), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/boost.html on line 73 [key]
1. to lift or raise by pushing from behind or below.
2. to advance or aid by speaking well of; promote: She always boosts her hometown.
3. to increase; raise: to boost prices; to boost the horsepower of the car by 20 percent.
4. Slang.to steal, esp. to shoplift: Two typewriters were boosted from the office last night.
Slang.to engage in stealing, esp. shoplifting.
1. an upward shove or raise; lift.
2. an increase; rise: There's been a tremendous boost in food prices.
3. an act, remark, or the like, that helps one's progress, morale, efforts, etc.: His pep talk was the boost our team needed.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.