Pronunciation: (brād), [key]
1. to weave together strips or strands of; plait: to braid the hair.
2. to form by such weaving: to braid a rope.
3. to bind or confine (the hair) with a band, ribbon, etc.
4. to trim with braid, as a garment.
1. a braided length or plait, esp. of hair.
2. a hair style formed by interweaving three or more strands of hair.
3. a narrow, ropelike band formed by plaiting or weaving together several strands of silk, cotton, or other material, used as trimming for garments, drapery, etc.
4. a band, ribbon, etc., for binding or confining the hair.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.