Pronunciation: (brēch), [key]
1. the act or a result of breaking; break or rupture.
2. an infraction or violation, as of a law, trust, faith, or promise.
3. a gap made in a wall, fortification, line of soldiers, etc.; rift; fissure.
4. a severance of friendly relations.
5. the leap of a whale above the surface of the water.
6. Archaic.the breaking of waves; the dashing of surf.
1. to make a breach or opening in.
2. to break or act contrary to (a law, promise, etc.).
(of a whale) to leap partly or completely out of the water, head first, and land on the back or belly with a resounding splash.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.