Pronunciation: (bred), [key]
1. a kind of food made of flour or meal that has been mixed with milk or water, made into a dough or batter, with or without yeast or other leavening agent, and baked.
2. food or sustenance; livelihood: to earn one's bread.
4. Eccles.the wafer or bread used in a Eucharistic service.
5. break bread,
a. to eat a meal, esp. in companionable association with others.
b. to distribute or participate in Communion.
6. cast one's bread upon the waters, to act generously or charitably with no thought of personal gain.
7. know which side one's bread is buttered on, to be aware of those things that are to one's own advantage.
8. take the bread out of someone's mouth, to deprive someone of livelihood.
Cookery.to cover with breadcrumbs or meal.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.