Pronunciation: (brāk'doun"), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/breakdown.html on line 71 [key]
1. a breaking down, wearing out, or sudden loss of ability to function efficiently, as of a machine.
2. a loss of mental or physical health; collapse. Cf. nervous breakdown.
3. an analysis or classification of something; division into parts, categories, processes, etc.
b. analysis (def. 7).
5. Elect.an electric discharge passing through faulty insulation or other material used to separate circuits or passing between electrodes in a vacuum or gas-filled tube.
6. a noisy, lively folk dance.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.