Pronunciation: (brōk), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/broke.html on line 71 [key]
1. a pt. of break.
2. Nonstandard.a pp. of break.
3. Archaic.a pp. of break.
1. without money; penniless.
3. go broke,
a. to become destitute of money or possessions.
b. to go bankrupt: In that business people are forever going broke.
4. go for broke, to exert oneself or employ one's resources to the utmost.
1. Papermaking.paper unfit for sale; paper that is to be repulped.
2. brokes,wool of poor quality taken from the neck and belly of sheep.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.