Pronunciation: (bûr'gun-dē), [key]
—n., pl. -dies for 2, 3, 5,
1. French, Bourgogne. a region in central France: a former kingdom, duchy, and province.
2. wine, of many varieties, red and white, mostly still, full, and dry, produced in the Burgundy region.
3. (often l.c.) red wine with similar characteristics made elsewhere.
4. (l.c.) a grayish red-brown to dark blackish-purple color.
5. Also called Bur'gundy sauce". a sauce made with red wine and thickened with an espagnole sauce or kneaded butter, served with eggs, meat, fish, or poultry.
(l.c.) having the color burgundy.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.