Pronunciation: (bus'kin), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/buskin.html on line 71 [key]
1. a thick-soled, laced boot or half boot.
2. Also called cothurnus. the high, thick-soled shoe worn by ancient Greek and Roman tragedians.
3. buskins,stockings decorated with gold thread worn by a bishop at a Pontifical Mass.
4. tragic drama; tragedy. Cf. sock1 (def. 3).
5. the art of acting, esp. tragic acting.
6. a woman's low-cut shoe with elastic gores at the sides of the instep, popular in the early 20th century.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.