Pronunciation: (booch'ur), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/butcher.html on line 75 [key]
1. a retail or wholesale dealer in meat.
2. a person who slaughters certain animals, or who dresses the flesh of animals, fish, or poultry, for food or market.
3. a person guilty of brutal or indiscriminate slaughter or murder.
4. a vendor who hawks newspapers, candy, beverages, etc., as on a train, at a stadium, etc.
1. to slaughter or dress (animals, fish, or poultry) for market.
2. to kill indiscriminately or brutally.
3. to bungle; botch: to butcher a job.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.