Pronunciation: (but'u-rē), [key]
1. like, containing, or spread with butter.
2. resembling butter, as in smoothness or softness of texture: a vest of buttery leather.
3. grossly flattering; smarmy.
Pronunciation: (but'u-rē, bu'trē), [key]
1. Chiefly New Eng.a room or rooms in which the provisions, wines, and liquors of a household are kept; pantry; larder.
2. a room in colleges, esp. at Oxford and Cambridge universities, from which articles of food and drink are sold or dispensed to the students.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.