Pronunciation: (bu'tris), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/buttress.html on line 75 [key]
1. any external prop or support built to steady a structure by opposing its outward thrusts, esp. a projecting support built into or against the outside of a masonry wall.
2. any prop or support.
3. a thing shaped like a buttress, as a tree trunk with a widening base.
4. a bony or horny protuberance, esp. on a horse's hoof.
1. to support by a buttress; prop up.
2. to give encouragement or support to (a person, plan, etc.).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.