Pronunciation: (kan'u-nīz"), [key]
—v.t., -ized, -iz•ing.
1. Eccles.to place in the canon of saints.
2. to glorify.
3. to make canonical; place or include within a canon, esp. of scriptural works: They canonized the Song of Solomon after much controversy.
4. to consider or treat as sacrosanct or holy: They canonized his many verbal foibles and made them gospel.
5. to sanction or approve authoritatively, esp. ecclesiastically.
6. Archaic.to deify. Also, esp. Brit.,can'on•ise".
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.