Pronunciation: (kan-tēn'), [key]
1. a small container used esp. by soldiers and hikers for carrying water or other liquids.
2. a general store and cafeteria at a military base.
3. a place where free entertainment is provided for military personnel.
4. a place, as in a factory, school, or summer camp, where refreshments and sometimes personal supplies are sold.
5. a recreation center or social club, esp. for teenagers.
6. a place set up to dispense food during an emergency.
7. a snack bar.
8. Brit.a box or chest for cutlery and other table utensils.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.