Pronunciation: (kap'i-tl-īz"), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/capitalize.html on line 75 [key]
—v., -ized, -iz•ing.
1. to write or print in capital letters or with an initial capital.
2. to authorize a certain amount of stocks and bonds in the corporate charter of: to capitalize a corporation.
3. to issue stock as a dividend, thereby capitalizing retained earnings, or as settlement of an unpaid arrearage of preferred dividends.
4. Accounting.to set up (expenditures) as business assets in the books of account instead of treating as expense.
5. to supply with capital.
6. to estimate the value of (a stock or an enterprise).
to take advantage of; turn something to one's advantage (often fol. by on): to capitalize on one's opportunities. Also, esp. Brit.,cap'i•tal•ise".
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.