Pronunciation: (ku-rēr'), [key]
1. an occupation or profession, esp. one requiring special training, followed as one's lifework: He sought a career as a lawyer.
2. a person's progress or general course of action through life or through a phase of life, as in some profession or undertaking: His career as a soldier ended with the armistice.
3. success in a profession, occupation, etc.
4. a course, esp. a swift one.
5. speed, esp. full speed: The horse stumbled in full career.
6. Archaic.a charge at full speed.
to run or move rapidly along; go at full speed.
having or following a career; professional: a career diplomat.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.