Pronunciation: (kar'ij; for 9 also kar'ē-ij), [key]
1. a wheeled vehicle for conveying persons, as one drawn by horses and designed for comfort and elegance.
2. See baby carriage.
3. Brit.a railway passenger coach.
4. a wheeled support, as for a cannon.
5. a movable part, as of a machine, designed for carrying something.
6. manner of carrying the head and body; bearing: the carriage of a soldier.
7. Also called carriage piece, horse. an inclined beam, as a string, supporting the steps of a stair.
8. the act of transporting; conveyance: the expenses of carriage.
9. the price or cost of transportation.
10. (in a typewriter) the moving part carrying the platen and its associated parts, usually set in motion to carry the paper across the point where the print element or type bars strike.
11. management; administration.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.