Pronunciation: (kär'trij), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/cartridge.html on line 71 [key]
1. Also called cartouche. a cylindrical case of pasteboard, metal, or the like, for holding a complete charge of powder, and often also the bullet or the shot for a rifle, machine gun, or other small arm.
2. a case containing any explosive charge, as for blasting.
3. any small container for powder, liquid, or gas, made for ready insertion into some device or mechanism: an ink cartridge for a pen.
4. Also called magazine. Photog.a lightproof metal or plastic container for a roll of film, usually containing both the supply and take-up spools, as well as a pressure plate, for rapid loading without the necessity of threading the film.
5. Audio.pickup (def. 8).
6. a flat, compact container enclosing an endless loop of audiotape, operated by inserting into a slot in a player.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.