Pronunciation: (kā'sing), [key]
1. a case or covering; housing.
2. material for a case or covering.
3. the framework around a door or window.
4. the outermost covering of an automobile tire.
5. any frame or framework.
6. a steel pipe or tubing, esp. as used in oil and gas wells.
7. a layer of glass that has been fused to an underlying layer of glass of a different color or of different properties.
8. the thin, tubular membrane of the intestines of sheep, cattle, or hogs, or a synthetic facsimile, for encasing processed meat in making sausages, salamis, etc.
9. Naut.the walls surrounding a funnel.
10. a channel created in a garment or other article to carry a drawstring or elastic, as by sewing a strip of cloth to the basic material with two parallel rows of stitches.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.