Pronunciation: (ses'ul, sis'- or, for 5, sē'sul), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/cecil.html on line 201 [key]
1. (Edgar Algernon) Robert (1st Viscount Cecil of Chelwood), 1864–1958, British statesman: Nobel peace prize 1937.
2. Robert (1st Earl of Salisbury and 1st Viscount Cecil of Cranborne), 1563–1612, British statesman (son of William Cecil).
3. Robert Arthur Talbot Gascoyne-. See Salisbury (def. 1).
4. William (1st Baron Burghley or Burleigh), 1520–98, British statesman: adviser to Elizabeth I.
5. a male given name: from a Latin word meaning “blind.”
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.