Pronunciation: (sûr'tn), [key]
1. free from doubt or reservation; confident; sure: I am certain he will come.
2. destined; sure to happen (usually fol. by an infinitive): He is certain to be there.
3. inevitable; bound to come: They realized then that war was certain.
4. established as true or sure; unquestionable; indisputable: It is certain that he tried.
5. fixed; agreed upon; settled: on a certain day; for a certain amount.
6. definite or particular, but not named or specified: A certain person phoned. He had a certain charm.
7. that may be depended on; trustworthy; unfailing; reliable: His aim was certain.
8. some though not much: a certain reluctance.
10. for certain, without a doubt; surely: I know for certain that I have seen that face before.
certain ones: Certain of the members declined the invitation.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.