Pronunciation: (chāf), [key]
—v., chafed, chaf•ing,
1. to wear or abrade by rubbing: He chafed his shoes on the rocks.
2. to make sore by rubbing: Her collar chafed her neck.
3. to irritate; annoy: The dripping of the faucet chafed her nerves.
4. to warm by rubbing: to chafe cold hands.
5. Obs.to heat; make warm.
1. to become worn or sore from rubbing: His neck began to chafe from the starched collar.
2. to rub; press with friction: The horse chafed against his stall.
3. to be irritated or annoyed: He chafed at their constant interruptions.
4. chafe at the bit, to become impatient at delay: The work was going very slowly, and he began to chafe at the bit.
1. irritation; annoyance.
2. heat, wear, or soreness caused by rubbing.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.