Pronunciation: (sham-pān'), [key]
1. (cap.) the sparkling, dry, white table wine from the region of Champagne in France.
2. a similar sparkling wine produced elsewhere.
3. (formerly) the nonsparkling, dry, white table wine produced in the region of Champagne in France.
4. a very pale yellow or greenish-yellow color.
5. anything considered the best or luxurious.
1. having the color of champagne.
2. luxurious or expensive: champagne tastes.
Pronunciation: (sham-pān'; Fr. shän-pan'yu), [key]
a region and former province in NE France.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.