Pronunciation: (cham'pē-un), [key]
1. a person who has defeated all opponents in a competition or series of competitions, so as to hold first place: the heavyweight boxing champion.
2. anything that takes first place in competition: the champion of a cattle show.
3. an animal that has won a certain number of points in officially recognized shows: This dog is a champion.
4. a person who fights for or defends any person or cause: a champion of the oppressed.
5. a fighter or warrior.
1. to act as champion of; defend; support: to champion a cause.
2. Obs.to defy.
1. first among all contestants or competitors.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.